In the piney woods of western Louisiana, South Toledo Bend State Park sits on the Texas boarder.
It and its sister park, the North Toledo Bend State Park, are nestled up against, (guess what?) the Toledo Bend Reservoir. Part of the Sabine River, the reservoir straddles the Texas-Louisiana state line for 65 miles. One of the country’s largest human-made reservoirs, it is the site of numerous freshwater fishing competitions, attracting fishers from around the country.
The good of the campground:
- The office staff are really friendly and helpful.
- Discounts for military, veterans, seniors.
- The Bathhouse is large and clean, with the laundry in separate, screened area. It is within walking distance from most sites. Very clean and the water is hot.
- All the sites are fairly large, shaded.
- It appears to be a popular family destination. One group of five Cruise American class C motorhomes arrived while we were there. Another 30-something couple we chatted with have been coming to South Toledo Bend Park for many years. They enjoy the fishing and hiking paths.
- The park roads have huge pot holes and are in extremely rough shape. Go slow. (It appears from reading past reviews on the park that interior roads have been horrible since at least 2016.) Park roads must be very low on the list of infrastructure priorities for Louisiana Parks.
- Most sites are not level, many require numerous leveling blocks.
- Come well-stocked for your entire stay. While the Park office does sell ice, there are no markets nearby for shopping. Other than a convenience store about six miles north on 191, the closest grocery stores (Walmart, Market Basket) are 25 miles away in Leesville.
For more information about the park, check out ReserveAmerica.gov
If you go:
South Toledo Bend State Park
120 Bald Eagle Road
Anacoco, LA 71403
Fees: Always ASK if they have any discounts for seniors, veterans, active duty military, or disabled. Click here for a complete rundown on Louisiana Parks’ Fees and Facilities
Note: “America the Beautiful Senior and Access Passes holders, whose state of residence also honors the America the Beautiful pass, are entitled to a 50-percent reduction on camping fees at all Louisiana State Parks. (Passport holders are allowed one site per passport).
Click here for information on Texas side of Toledo Bend Reservoir.