When we stopped at the Collier Memorial State Park to camp recently, we walked along the Williamson River Trail from the campground to the free, self-guided logging museum.
The Collier Logging Museum houses “the largest collection of machinery and objects associated with the evolving technology of logging and lumbering in the Pacific Northwest”
There are dozens of pieces of logging equipment dating from the late 1800s to at least the 1970s. One such enormous piece of equipment is the “Stout Adner,” donated by the International Paper Company.
The sign over the “Stout Abner” reads: “Named for Abner Weed, founder of Weed, Calif. Twin cylinder Corliss steam engine supplied total power for Long -Fell Lumber Company’s sawmill, Weed, Calif., from 1917 through 1954 (Long-Fell was acquired by International Paper) Seven boilers burning sawmill residue furnished steam to the twin 22-inch by 36-inch cylinders.”
“Specifications: Engine: horse power: 2,000; thrust: 128,000 pounds; weight: 116,000 pounds. Bed weight: 572,500 pounds. Fly wheel diameter: 12-feet; width: 80 inches; weight: 30,000 pounds. Belt: length: 227 feet, width: 74 inches; speed: 4,900 feet/min; 3-ply leather from 639 cowhides. Replaced by electric motors and retired to logging museum in 1974.”
For more details on the museum and when to visit, click on RV Short Stops.
Photos: RVer Jimmy Smith crossing over Spring Creek to the logging museum from the Williamson River Trail that leads from the Collier Park campground. Click on photos to enlarge. (Julianne G. Crane)